Monday, September 15, 2014

Harmon House Goes Camping: Part 1

I'm really just not sure where to start or what order to post all the information that went into camping/how camping went. So, I decided breaking it up into parts is the best way to provide all info/not stress me out :) So we're going to start with the prepping/planning of our camping trip. & a few overall details of the trip. 

Wichita Wildlife Refuge


I chose this one (it's about 3 hrs away) specifically for Joe. There's plenty of closer places to camp but my husband is a fan of boulder hopping & the refuge is great for that. He's been wanting to go but since the refuge is 3 hours away, it's not ideal for him to go alone as he would be gone all day. My FIL took us there when we were first married & we actually found out later that I was pregnant at the time. Looking back now it actually makes perfect sense because 1. I was nauseous nearly the entire ride & 2. I ate an entire footlong Subway sandwich in one sitting as opposed to saving half of it for the trail. I was so hungry! & now we know why :) anyways, I chose this for him so that he could go one morning by himself for some alone time. We loved camping out here & will definitely go back again! 


We chose to tent camping because it's seriously SO cheap. It was only $10/night! And bonus: my FIL had camping gear that he let us use so no extra money spent on that! He had a huge tent, cooler, propane stove, ponchos, etc. They did a lot of camping growing up so we were super pleased he let us use the gear! All we had to buy was a few extra necessities. 


Here was our packing list: 
Food (will post our meal plan & details) 
Twin food- Plum organic packs, formula/bottles, 2 gallons of water, few jarred foods, gerber puffs, & oatmeal. 
Tent
Propane stove
Charcoal
Air mattress
Foam floor puzzle (we used this to make J's sleeping area softer)
Pack & play (twins still sleep in this together) 
Books/Activies (will post about this separately) 
Clothes/blankets
Flashlights 
Lighter fluid
Back packs (for hikes)
Few toys for twins
Bumbo's 

...I think that is nearly everything. The individual posts will go more in depth about things I think most family's want to know about when going with young kids; meals, activities, hardships, etc. 


I just wanted to give a short update & give my readers a few posts to be looking out for & to let you all know I'm working on gathering the information so that you can have a fun & stress free camping trip too! 

How many of you enjoy camping? What is something you can't live without when you go? I'd love to hear your ideas!

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife




No comments:

Post a Comment