Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why I Love Sensory Play

Every week in my house, we're doing a lot of sensory activities. I always try and incorporate other learning aspects into the activity as well but sensory and explorative play are MAJOR in the Harmon House. Here's why:

1. As young kids, you learn with all senses. In this critical time your child decides what is relevant & irrelevant in their minds. By exposing your child to different textures, sounds, explorative play, etc. you're helping them be able to experience their world in the future to their highest capability.

2. Ummm...what child doesn't love to touch EVERYTHING?! This is the perfect opportunity to do so. Let them touch, let them explore.

3. Messy is ok in our house! I'm 100% convinced that messy play is great play. Now, I'm not saying there are activities that aren't great that require little or no clean up, I'm simply saying that there are many great learning opportunities to be had when you let your child get a little messy. They're learning to do things for themselves. & you can be sure that J is always involved in the clean up! & I'm pretty impressed that my 19 month old picks up *mostly* when she's asked. Obviously, we have occasional breakdowns.

...so now you're thinking, "I'm so busy, I don't have time to make things!" YES YOU DO! I make sensory bins, activities, toys, etc. usually in less than 15 minutes! & I always do it while the kids are sleeping. Here are a few ideas to help a busy momma or daddy like myself:

Sensory Bins:
Circle Bin: lids, small balls, cherrios --ANYTHING in your home laying around that's a circle!
Treasure Hunt: colorful cut tissue paper, play jewelry
Flour: flour, measuring cups, small bowls, spoons



Sensory Bottles:
Water bottles filled with Pom poms, Popsicle sticks, beads, buttons, straw, etc.  ANYTHING around your house --it doesn't have to be hard, use real life things that your child will be exposed to!

Let your child help you cook! Let them touch, taste, explore!



Go on a family walk. Talk about what you see, use descriptive words. Let them walk independently (safely, obviously).

I hope these ideas help you. Just remember, keep it simple, keep it fun. Your child doesn't care how much you spent on the activity, they care how much time you spend with them doing the activity.


Be checking back for a special post on how to make simple sensory sheets!


No comments:

Post a Comment