Sunday, July 6, 2014

Supermom Doesn't Live Here

I've been made fun of many times for the schedule I keep my household running on. I've been judged for choosing not to breastfeed my twins. I've been given the look (you know the look) at parks while my toddler screams for a drink of soda she's not getting. I've hid in the bathroom to enjoy a fudge round by myself. I don't cosleep. Some of you who are reading this have just lost interest in this blog because you're reading that in actuality, I'm no supermom. 

Supermom. I hear that comment daily. & although, yes, it's a compliment. It's also a burden. Yes, it's a burden. Who can live up to that? Not me. I yell. I cry. I play. I question. I love. Just like you. 

Are you supermom? What makes a mother a supermom? 

Is it because I have 3 kids under the age of 2? That can't be it. There's probably thousands of mothers who have kids this way. 

Is it because I do planned activities with my babies? That can't be it. There's also thousands of mothers who do this. 

There's also thousands of mothers who work all day long and come home after a long day and still try and interact with their babies educationally. Exhausted. Frustrated. But present. They look forward to those few hours all day at work. Are they supermom? 

I can tell you this- not once have I heard a working mother be called a supermom. Not once. 

Do they not love their kids just as much as a mother who stays home? Do they not juggle the same amount of motherly chores, wifely duties, and life stress as mothers who stay home? 

I'm really wondering what YOU define supermom as? 

Because I can tell you, supermom doesn't live in this house. 

A real mom does. A mom who loves. A mom who yells. A mom who plays. A mom who sleeps. A mom who dreams of her prepregnancy body & who has not fully accepted the marks my sweet babies left behind. A mom who does no cosleep. A mom who does not breastfeed. A real mom lives here. A mom with flaws, dreams, and fears. 

A mom who does her best every day to keep it together. 

Supermom doesn't live here. I don't believe she lives anywhere. But I do believe there are super moms that love everywhere. 

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife



No comments:

Post a Comment