Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What I Want My Kids to Know About Daddy


1. He leads this home.
-He is the leader in this house and I am his equal. Wait...how's that work? Simple. I trust Daddy with any and all aspects of our life. Daddy respects my opinions, concerns, and decisions. However, if Daddy needs to make a life decision and can't consult with me before doing so, I trust him. If Daddy doesn't agree with my opinion, I trust him. We are different people who see things differently, but ultimately, we want the same thing for each of you and our family. I stand beside him at all times. I will not be against Daddy in any choice he makes, I am on his team. I stand beside him. & together, we stand by you. 


2. He is not Superman.
-Daddy does not have super strength. Daddy does not fly. Daddy is human. He will make mistakes, he will get tired, he will not always be able to save you. But he will try. Daddy will do anything he can do to keep you from harms way, to lead you in the right direction, to keep you happy. But in the end, Daddy's job is not to save you, it is to teach you how to save yourself. He will be your right hand man, your side kick, your biggest supporter, and your shoulder to lean on. But Daddy will also be the one who pushes you to your limit, who challenges you to be better, and who helps you pick up the pieces when things seem unfixable. Daddy is not Superman, but he is the closest thing to it that you will find here on earth.


3. He was there.
-Daddy was there. During the 30 hours of labor, during the c section, during the pregnancies, during the sleepless newborn nights, he was there. Not only was he there, but he held my hand and helped me move forward when I wanted to stop. When I didn't want to push anymore, he told me to keep going. When we did a rushed c section, he was my peace. When I couldn't walk, couldn't get up, when I couldn't do anything but lay down after a long day during the pregnancies, he was there. He was there during night time feedings, he was there to comfort you, he was there to comfort me. Daddy is gone a lot because Daddy works to give us everything. But we are his number one priority. Daddy wants to be with us every day but he can't. So Daddy has trusted me to keep you, care for you, teach you. Just because you can't see Daddy doesn't mean he's not there. He's calling, he's texting, he's face timing. All while doing his job. Daddy works outside this home & Daddy works inside this home. So when you look back at the pictures of our days & ask "Where's Daddy?" I'll tell you, he was there. Because Daddy is & always will be there.


4. He is not just Daddy. 
-He is a husband. He is a son. He is a brother. He is a friend. He is a person. Eventually you will learn who Daddy is outside of Daddy. But until then, I will remind you. You come first, but Daddy still has to take care of Daddy. & when you're upset because Daddy isn't home, I will remind you that Daddy is not only ours. I will remind you that in addition to all Daddy does for us and others, Daddy needs to do things for himself as well. I will remind you that Daddy deserves things for himself. I will remind you that Daddy is first "Daddy" but also that he is much, much more. & I will remind you, that if Daddy had to choose 1 place to be for the rest of his life, it would be next to you. 


5. Daddy will never be enough. 
-Daddy will try to give you everything your small hearts desire. Daddy will try to keep you happy, Daddy will try to keep you safe, & Daddy will try to be all you need. But Daddy will never be enough. Only one person will ever be able to never fail you, Jesus. Luckily for you, Daddy has a close personal relationship with Jesus. Daddy will show you how you can have a close personal relationship with him too. So that when the time comes when Daddy is not enough, Jesus will be. 


I want you to know so many things about Daddy that I feel are important. I want you to know he is funny, he is smart, he is kind, he is handsome, and that he is rare. I will always remind you that many others do not have a Daddy like yours, I will always remind you that many would give anything to have a Daddy like yours, I will always remind you that Daddy is irreplaceable


It's important for you to know much more about Daddy than just his title that you gave him. You are lucky to have him and we are lucky to have each of you. 

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife


No comments:

Post a Comment