Monday, March 10, 2014

Life Skills

Here's the deal, I'm huge Montessori fan. Huge. I'm all about explorative learning using real life skills. You would truly be amazed at how much kids learn doing every day things that they need to be taught anyways. So, I thought I would share some simple activities I do with J/give to J to do by herself. 

-"folding" washcloths 

-doing dishes: I put sponges, her plates, cups, bowls, utensils, etc in a bin & let her wash them. She seriously has so much fun...it's kindof weird. But maybe this means she'll always do our dishes? A mama can hope. 

-choosing her own clothes, foods, snacks, drinks. It's all about choices. I'm not saying let them eat or drink whatever. But make them feel included in their life choices. Encourage independence. 
For example: "Do you want apple or grape juice?"
"Do you want to wear the pink shirt or blue shirt?" 
"Do you want eggs or cereal?" 

One day, they'll have to make these anyways. Help them learn to make the correct & healthy choice. Small things to you are big things to them. 

-taking care of baby dolls. This encourages J to practice basic hygiene & life skills. & it's so fun! 

-we talk about big,small, counting, etc. Language is your biggest tool-USE IT! 

-matching people in photos with names 

-retrieving objects (comes in handy with the twins, J is my go-getter) 

I can't emphasize enough that basic is best. These are not hard things, these are things that are often overlooked. Learn to think simple & you'll learn to think like your child. 

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife 


No comments:

Post a Comment