Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sensory Sheets

I'd like to start this post by saying that if you haven't discovered the magic in The Dollar Tree, you are truly missing out. That place is a gold mine for a one income household. Get time & go, you won't be sorry. I buy so many things in this store that I use around my house & ESPECIALLY for activities with J! I don't worry about her breaking, losing, or damaging anything cause I only paid $1! It allows me to let her be more free with what she does. Moving on...

I made these simple sensory/word sheets two nights ago & J LOVED THEM! My original thought was to make sensory "steps" but this seemed quicker and easier. Here she is teaching her own baby "white, soft" --



These sheets are so easy to make for yourself and you can switch out any of these for other things you have around your house. Be creative!
What you need:
Foam sheets (cardboard would work too!)
Glue
Scissors
Sensory items (I used foil, cotton balls, Popsicle sticks, buttons, yarn, felt, lace, tulle, Pom poms, & feathers)

How to:
Gather your sensory items & cut if needed according to size of your foam sheet. Glue your sensory items onto the foam sheet... I mean, do I need to explain it in more detail? It's THAT simple! The amount that you put on each sheet is up to you. I'm not too big on "perfection" when it comes to things I make for J...5 minutes into these she was removing the pom poms off the sheet. So perfection isn't needed in our house. Here are the finished sheets--


J took off with the cotton sheet, seems to be her favorite one so far!

What else can you do with these?
These sheets are great for more than just sensory. I used a marker to write various words on each sheet for language development. But you could also use this activity for counting, colors, etc. It all depends on what you sensory materials you use! & if you're feeling REALLY adventurous today, you can let your little one help you make these. Allowing them to help will be great fine motor skill practice, sequencing, decision making, and listening skills.

I hope your little ones enjoy these as much as mine do!

XOXOX,
Harmon Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment