Monday, March 31, 2014

The Power of the Mind

Do you know how much changing your outlook on little things can do for your life? If not, I'm about to tell you! 

For the past month, life in the Harmon House has been hectic. We have been through the drive through one too many times, we've missed naps and bedtimes, & J has been with family a whole lot while we took care of different things. The good news? We're in our home! The bad news? It's a wreck. 


This is only the living room. The rest of the house looks just about the same. 

The other night, I was so angry. I was so stressed. I was so tired. I was so fed up. After moving, we spent the entire day cleaning our old apartment. AND some of the next morning. So we didn't even get to use the full weekend to organize our house!! As I was driving home, I thought to myself, "You're only in a bad mood because you're choosing to be." 

& then I thought- "No, I'm in a bad mood because this blows and all I want is to hold my kids & be in my organized house." 

& then...this song came on. 

---

"This Is The Stuff"

I lost my keys in the great unknown
And call me please 'cause I can't find my phone

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately 
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed 
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I've gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing 
Might not be what I would choose 
But this the stuff You use

45 in a 35 sirens and fines
While I'm running behind
Whoa ho ho

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately 
In the middle of my little mess,
I forget how big I'm blessed 
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I've gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing 
Might not be what I would choose 
But this the stuff You use

So break me of impatience
Conquer my frustrations
I've got a new appreciation
It's not the end of the world
Whoa ho ho ho

Oooooh This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff 
Someone save me 
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I've gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing 
Might not be what I would choose 
But this the stuff You use

Whoa whoa ho ho
This is the stuff You use.
------

How true are those words?? MY attitude is something I've really been working on for awhile now. I've got a little too much attitude for one person. 

I started trying to work on myself because I was really struggling with a friend. Everything she did just rubbed me the wrong way. We used to be great friends and it was like slowly we drifted & became frenemies! I began to literally hate seeing her in our crowd of friends and wanted to avoid her at all costs! One day, I found a picture of when we were really close. & that's when I decided, maybe it's me

Maybe I perceive her intentions wrong. Maybe I haven't forgiven her. Maybe I am what is holding things still and keeping things from moving forward. So I decided, right then-right there, I was going to change. I was going to step back before becoming offended. I was going to stop dreading seeing her & instead embrace her as if nothing happened. I was going to move on

That was the best decision I've ever made. 

That's when I truly learned that apologies and letting things go aren't for the other person involved. They're for yourself

Are we just absolute best friends again? No, but I do enjoy her company. I do know that she's a good person. & I do know that it really was me

So, there I was, in a bad mood. & i thought about that friend, my attitude, & the difference I made when I changed my perceptions. So, I thought about all I'm blessed with. A beautiful home. A beautiful family to share it with. A loving husband. Three super cute babies to watch grow up in this home. I'm in a bad mood because my house is a mess? No, I was in a bad mood because I was forgetting all the reasons I had to be in a good mood. 

My house is still a mess. But my life isn't, and for that- I'm thankful. 

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife 

No comments:

Post a Comment