Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Fairytale Lie



Here's the thing I want to say before you read this post: I love my husband. I really do. I love my life. But, this is no fairytale. 

My marriage does not consist of my husband coming home with roses every night. We do not go on dates very often. We do not fly away to exotic places at the drop of hat. We have never done any of these things and I'm pretty certain that we never will. There is this picture that young brides see when they think of marriage. So take that picture & burn it. Because it is a lie. 

My marriage consists of constant encouragement to each other. My marriage consists of a husband who works from sun up to sun down to provide for my family. My marriage consists of laundry, cooking, cleaning, taking care of children. My marriage consists of laughter and love. True love that does not require makeup, fancy clothes, date nights, and exotic trips. (Although I'm not saying those things aren't wonderful!) I'm simply saying my marriage consists of real


The "house" game you play when you're a child is not the same as living "house". Why? Because you can't quit playing. You keep repeating it day after day. When I go to bed at night, I know the next day I will have to wake up to do the exact same things I did today. Every day is not happily ever after, every day is just a day

The life I live day to day, I never imagined. I always wanted to be a mom and a wife. Always. But in my head, my kids never pooped, I wore dresses like a Beaver-Cleaver wife, my hair was always fixed, my house was huge and clean, and I had heard nothing of this word called "budget". 



The life I live day to day, I wouldn't give up for a fairytale. I love that my husband works hard, because that shows me he loves. He loves me and my children so much that he is willing to sacrifice his time so that I can be free with mine. I love that I can wear sweats, have messy hair, and when he walks in the door he greets me with a kiss followed by, "Hello Beautiful." I love that we don't fly away to places because that means we have a family. I love that we love in a real way. 



I wish that I could tell you that being a young wife and mother is an everlasting fairytale, but I can't. What I can tell you is, this life is so much better. If you let go of what you thought it should or would be and just let it be, you will see the true fairytale is being in a life and love that can make it through real life. 

XOXOX, 
Harmon Housewife 




No comments:

Post a Comment